Ziggy

Ear injury

Hi everyone...

Something confusing has happened to poor Twinkle... my daughter Jen rushed in from the garden yesterday shouting 'come quickly, there's something wrong with Twinkle's ear'... I fist thought there'd be something sticky on her fur or something, but then she said 'a piece of it is missing'...

She is right, a piece of Twinkle's ear, near the tip, on the side, is missing... The bunny seems fine and the ear seems to be drying/healing very well, and bunny is eating, hopping and behaving normally, and she doesn't react to touch on the ear, so doesn't show any sign of it hurting, but what on earth can have cause this injury to our poor Twinkle??

Our first thought was a fight with another bunny, but I've been looking at them for ages now and they seem fine, no fighting, lots of grooming each other, no aggression... the missing piece also looks a bit big, for a bunny's bite... there are no teeth marks, just a neat edge... I guess it could be a cat... or even a fox... checked the hutch for any sharp thing that could have done it, but seems all fine...

I would have expected an animal attack to result in a tear, cut, but here it's a piece of her ear that's been cleanly cut off... not a huge piece, just big enough to seem too big to be cause by a bunny's bite...

I'm taking the bunnies to the vet soon for their VHD vaccine so will ask the vet's advice, haven't taken Twinkle in especially cause she seems fine, but I'm rather upset about this, and about not knowing what's happened to her...

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? :(