amandapub Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 Last night a tiny black duckling ran past me, i left it for a while to see if the mother duck came for it. At 12.00pm in the pouring rain i decided to bring it inside. I have just hatched and raised 16 ducklings so i had a brooder and heat lamp. Not sure if i have done the right thing but i couldn't leave it outside for someone's supper. Not sure what breed of duck it is, i think possibly a mallard it is very tiny and very fast. It is eating and drinking ok. Has anyone got any advise. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Staffordmum Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 Whilst I don't have any useful advice, I just wanted to say well done & good luck.. We practically tripped over a fledgling in the road last w/e and I didn't know what to do with it. I left it in the grass verge in the hope the Mother would find it ... Hope it survives for you! Kind rgds, Pat & Steve. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 I don't know what would be best for it either - you may be best asking on the Practical Poultry forum? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 Wild ducks are either excellent over protective mothers but I have met some really bad ones and sometimes if the others get picked off they wont look after just one! One year we had one that did survive all on its own but I have never known that before. However quite often our wild ones appear to lose the odd one but then it suddenly will join the others later in the day Crows etc (& cats obviously) will pick them off so if it is doing fine and you are happy to look after it do so. Just treat it like your other ones, they become quite hardy, and will eat chicken pellets after just a few days(the wild ducklings I have are given layers pellets and it has never affected them at all...thats just what I happen to have) You can still release it later it would be fine, if you need to rehome it later with wild ones I am in Herts with large wildlife pond. we have ducklings at different stages(wild ones) Even the wild ones can be tame good luck indie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...