Henhathnofury Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 Just when I had got my worry over foxes, my neighbours have told me that a badger, plus clubs, has burrowed under her fence. I checked our garden today and there was no sign of the blighters...we actually also have another metal gate before the badger would get to the chickens - but it doesn't stop me worrying. The hot weather has meant a lack of slugs and snails for a while, so they must be hungry. Badgers are always nocturnal, as far as I know. Or are they? Chickens are locked up then. Has anyone had experiences of the black and white terrors? (I used to love all wildlife. Now I worry for my girls if a crow looks at them sideways. Sigh!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gamebird Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 There are lots of badgers around our garden. They are notcturnal but I have seen plenty of them during the day. However, they are quite shy so most of their activity is at night. My friend has a Forsham ark and a badger dug underneath and killed 2 of her chickens. This is on hard clay soil so they are very strong diggers. My chickens are surrounded by electric fencing which does seem to keeps badgers, foxes and mink at bay. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 Gamebird - I know I've seen pictures of your set up but I can't quite remember - is your electric fence like the Omlet netting but electrified (ie electrified mesh) or do you have electrified tapes? Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...