lisa33

Feather loss, blackening comb and now not eating

Hi all,

Can anyone offer a bit of advice please. Rae started moulting in the middle of April. We had a run of softies from her, presumably because of the moult and nothing since.

In the last two days she has started losing her new feathers. Yesterday she sat around hunched up quite a bit and wasn't interested in corn or raisins ( :shock: ) when I used them to bribe them into their run.

Tonight I came home from work and Andy said that she was looking quite poorly.

She is totally hunched up and her comb is going a little bit black. I have checked for lice and all that did was make some more feathers fall out. :(

They were all wormed with flubenvet a couple of months ago.

I tried to feed her some chopped up cucumber (as no grapes left) and she wasn't interested.

I also tried to feed her some rinsed off and watery tune as her crop feels totally empty. She took two beakfuls and refused any more.

Can anyone offer any advice? I don't know what her poos are like as I've just got home from work. Yesterday there was some watery ones which I assume was from her. :(

Thanks for looking.

Sorry to hear she is poorly Lisa :(

You've eliminated some causes for illness (lice/worms etc) :) , I presume she hasn't been laying due to the moult? (so she can't have an egg stuck/softie )

The darkened comb could indicate a breathing/heart problem, does she sound rattly or wheezy at all?

It could possibly be to do with the moult :think: , do you have anything like Avipro that you could add as a "pick me up"?

I think if you can you should get her to the vets tomorrow.

Keep us posted. :pray:

She just ate a small amount of tuna but picked out all of the sultanas. :roll:

She seems to want to eat but doesn't like the taste. She just went for a big black spider in the conservatory, pecked it twice :vom: and then walked away.

Andy thinks it might be gastric as every time she eats the smallest morsel her belly grumbles loads!!!

We squirted a little amount of cod liver oil in her. She wasn't too impressed with that!!!

I'm going to see how she is tomorrow. Unfortunately I am working really long hours at work and am not going to be able to get out early to take her to the vets.

Haven't got any Avipro but have put some poultry drink in their water.

Got home this evening and there was no change. She drank a bit of water and it fell out of her mouth.

I turned upside down and massaged her cop and loads of liquid came out. Just giving her a rest now and will do it again. Andy has gone to the shops to get some probiotic yoghurt. Going to make the broody cage comfy and pop her in that for a couple of days to see how she goes.

Fingers crossed this will help. :pray: