Pikey Posted July 15, 2009 Share Posted July 15, 2009 Hi Cookie my ex-bat has had problems with softies and very fragile shells which break for months now, despite giving her oyster shell, egg shell and meal worms. Over the past couple of weeks it appears that eggs have broken inside or on the way out but everything has come out (and eaten by her and the other 3 after). She often does these whilst free-ranging and doesn't have time/can't get to the nest box. Last night she was her usual noisy self craving for mealworms and following me around until about 8 when she went quiet and started hunching up like she wanted to lay an egg...1.5 hours later still nothing. She was in the nest box but the others started pushing her about to get in the nest box to roost so I brought her in. Her Vent was pulsing (easy to see as very little feathers) and it was if she could push it out. I gave warm bath and put vaseline in and around the vent. Came down in the morning despite no sleep to find that she had laid a "water bomb" egg and there was evidence of a broken egg but just the shell.......no evidence of a yoke which makes me wonder if still inside. Do you think would be the case and how could I find out. I have put her out with the others and she has drunk loads of water with citradel in it and a few mealworm (even ran for some with the others). She just started standing there so I have brought her inside where she has eaten some cat food and more mealworm with Cod liver oil. She usually perks up after a while ....I have to go to work but will come back lunch time to see if any better and if not arrange a trip to the vets. Is there anything else I can do for her??? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 15, 2009 Share Posted July 15, 2009 Article on egg binding **here** I would give her a calcium and Vit D3 supplement such as ZolcalD. From the sound of things, it is more of a issue with soft eggs and the associated difficulties in expelling them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lizzie Posted July 15, 2009 Share Posted July 15, 2009 yes, agree with Egluntine, I have a similar problem with Barbara every so often. I put vaseline around her vent and the movement draws some in. you could also try and put some KY jelly carefully just inside her vent to see if it helps. If the shell inside (assuming thisd is the problem) is anything like Barbaras, its quite rough so the petroleum jelly should help. You could also give her bottom a fairly hot bath, not so hot it burns her, but sleush her vent area and then dry her off. If she will let you, use a hair dryer to dry her feathers off. In addition, you could also see if she will sit on a towel covered hot water bottle. About 2ml of zolcal should help her. Hope she passes the shell soon Regards Liz Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pikey Posted July 15, 2009 Author Share Posted July 15, 2009 Thanks for the advice. She is now back to her usual self !!! ZolcalD on order tho. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...