Katie Posted July 25, 2009 Share Posted July 25, 2009 Hope you are all enjoying this glorious weather!! (lets hope it lasts). I was reading on the internet that you can use tea tree oil to repel lice and lavender oil can be used to calm hens. I have always used chemicals to treat lice etc, but it would be great to find out more about, and use, natural based remedies. Has anyone any experience of using essential oils on hens, and does anyone have any other oils that they use? Thought it would be interesting to know! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted July 25, 2009 Share Posted July 25, 2009 Hi I don`t use essential oils directly ON the hen but I do squirt Cirtonella/water mix onto rags around the run to repel flies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 25, 2009 Share Posted July 25, 2009 Same here, and Lavender in the poo tray to deter red mite. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted July 25, 2009 Share Posted July 25, 2009 oh, good tip eglutine I am paranoid about red mite Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Clare L Posted July 25, 2009 Share Posted July 25, 2009 Tea tree is a good antiseptic. I think that the mix for animals is the same as children - 1 drop to 20 drops of water. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Clare L Posted July 25, 2009 Share Posted July 25, 2009 Got me interested in using oils on chickens so I had a quick look around and I came across this article on using oils to kill red mites in laying hens which might be useful to know....although by the looks of it the research has not been finished - at that point anyhow. http://www.ncl.ac.uk/afrd/assets/documents/website_pressrelease2.pdf Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Katie Posted July 25, 2009 Author Share Posted July 25, 2009 That article is very interesting, it would be great if there was a central site that listed suitable oils you can use on hens. The internet seems pretty sp"Ooops, word censored!" on the topic. Also Egluntine, do you simply put a few drops in the tray, or do you use freshly cut lavender? Katie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...