Eggstatic!

honey

You use a honey extractor. Many local beekeeping assocs loan these to their members as they are quite costly to buy.

Lots of info to be found on 'tinterweb. :D

I have been researching extractors here in the States and most I have found have been made of Stainless and as Egluntine mentioned are quite costly upwards of $300US, I did however find a plastic extractor for just over $100US. it was imported from Europe so I'm sure with a little bit of research you could find it locally. :D I wonder if one of those inexpensive salad spinners would work? :think:

v8landy, I was wondering what advantages (besides not needing an extractor) there would be harvesting "Comb Honey" as I've seen this sold in some of my local farm stores and I love the organic, natural look of it. If using an extractor does the colony have to rebuild the combs in the same way as using another method?

I think it is worthwhile borrowing or buying an extractor, even if you only have a small number of frames to process. As v8landy says, it does least damage to the combs, and also extracts the most honey.

We bought a secondhand stainless steel extractor for just over £100, less than the cost of a second grade flatpack hive. It made the job of extracting very easy, very clean, and very efficient. We owe it to the bees not to waste honey, and the extractor kept our losses to a very few ounces.

I would try to find out if your local assoc has an extractor which could be borrowed, or failing that, if they will help you get a few people together to buy one between you all; they are expensive for something you would only use once or twice a year.

I've used my extractor last month, for the first time in two years. Yes, they are expensive (mine was £300 second hand - 10 frames motorized) but you also need a reasonable amount of honey before it's worth using them.

I find rape and ivy, two of the main flows round here, set so hard and so quickly that I have to cut the comb out into buckets, mush it up and let the honey and wax separate in the warming cabinet. Others press honey from the comb.

It is debatable if extracting with a spinner and giving comb back to the bees does much to save them work building new comb, as during a strong nectar flow the bees will still secrete wax even though they have the reused comb available to fill.

Peter

Cambridge UK