darthwenger Posted October 22, 2009 Share Posted October 22, 2009 One of my chooks (Rosie) ages ago had a bloody bottom after probably laying too big an egg, unknown to me the other chook pecked her bottom terribly and I took her to the vet who cut her feathers away around her bottom and we used some antibiotic powder. Its all fine now and that was probably 7 months ago. Its coming into winter now and Rosies bottom is still pretty bald (she has a completely bald patch running from her vent and down towards between her legs. I'm concerned as the cold weather is setting in and she has no feathers to keep her behind warm. Should I be concerned? I wouldn't say her skin was inflamed just pink to reddish colour. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wiganchooks Posted October 22, 2009 Share Posted October 22, 2009 I'm no expert, having only got mine 3 weeks ago, but they are ex-bats with bare bottoms, tummies, chests, necks etc One came arrived about 1/3 completely bare! They are coping ok with the cold (I have virtually draft-proofed the run though). It's probably more important to keep an eye out that non of the others peck it. Our little one's bottom was being pecked when there was bullying as they settled in, we used gentian violet spray which seems to have worked, healing and detering. She looks a bit bizarre though (it's a very purple spray!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 23, 2009 Share Posted October 23, 2009 She will be fine. They Usually chose this time of year to have a moult anyway. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cluckingmad Posted October 23, 2009 Share Posted October 23, 2009 They'll be fine, don't you worry remember the first time I had to get something out of the coup while they were all sleepy, never felt such a lovely war, pile of little bodies! They'll snuggle together and keep warm that way, as long as the others leave Rosie alone she'll probably start to regrow her feathers after moulting Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...