MedusA

Bees on Countryfile

Did anyone else see the item on Countryfile about beekeeping?

I think it was good that they pointed out the importance of gaining some theoretical knowledge and practical experience before getting some bees.

I do think it's a positive move that beekeeping is becoming so high profile on mainstream TV. :D

Yes I saw it - and I totally agree. Having been through my first summer but not yet my first winter I really can't imagine keeping bees without going to classes first, particularly because of the people I've met. The reassurance of knowing somebody is around to ask/help out has been incredibly important during this first year. In a way I find it much harder than keeping hens was when I first started out, because I have no 'sixth sense' about the bees, no instinct.

I think it's just much harder to have any 'instinct' when you only really observe them once a week or so, and when their habits are so different to anything else we are used to. I'm sure instinct develops with time, but I do agree that I wouldn't have dreamed of venturing into beekeeping without the evening class that I did, and without the support of my local group.

I did see the Countryfile item, but got interrupted and forgot to pause it!