achhean

Carrying Rabbits

My two rabbits are a year old now.

We carry them every now and then; but since they were bunnies, they never liked being carried.

They are so cute, but whenever we carry them, they don't like to be carried for more than like 3 minutes. (brown rabbit)

I am wondering if we carry them more, starting now, will they be like those rabbits who are used to being carried and won't resist as much?

For you to be able to pick your rabbits up for 3 minutes is very good. Most rabbits do not tolerate being picked up. They feel safest on the ground because they are prey to other animals and their security is being able to bolt to safety as fast as they can when needed. I was able to pick Frank up immediately he came to us but he was initially nervous when I walked with him. After keeping him very close to my body, walking slowly (to his hutch) and talking and stroking, he came to like it. Bonnie and Bandit however, do not like being picked up at all and in the 6 months I have had them, I've picked Bandit up once and Bonnie twice. My bonding with them occurs on the ground and I spend a lot of time stroking and talking to them. I'd love to be able to handle them more and hope to the in the future but it can't be rushed as I don't want to lose their trust. Luckily, they take themselves into their run each evening which is great.

I hope that helps.

A nose rub sounds heaps better! :D Bandit loves them and will settle down for a long time but Bonnie is a little more elusive - I have to mostly start to stroke her when she is in a trance or eating and then she accepts it. And you're right, the best time to pick them up seems to be when they're relaxed and/or preoccupied.

My rabbits love being carried but they are too heavy for me to carry them both at the same time so I put them in a pet bag until they are sat on my knee. It keeps them safe and makes a cosy bed when they are waiting to be picked up. I got mine from a seconds shop for about £10 but you can get them cheaper or from tons of pet shop. Bear in mind though that they are designed for small dogs and won't come under the dogs section!