Porkypie Posted February 23, 2010 Share Posted February 23, 2010 My Bluebelle has not been a great layer from the start - all softies for a long time and now her eggs tend to be thin-shelled. I've noticed dried traces of blood droplets on the outside of many of her eggs but have never seen any external damage. About 4months ago she started digging up all of the bedding in their house just before she goes into the nestbox to lay. She sounds agitated and I'm concerned she's distressed. They live in a wooden house and it results in the newspaper and sawdust becoming a complete mess. Is this normal? I'd rather her not lay than go through that each day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted February 23, 2010 Share Posted February 23, 2010 The digging and the agitation sounds like nesting behaviour to me which is normal Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Porkypie Posted February 23, 2010 Author Share Posted February 23, 2010 My other two just go in and lay (with a few moans) so was worried she was different. Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted February 24, 2010 Share Posted February 24, 2010 Is there a thread about chicken noises. I didn't realise they had such a range. I've seen websites with dog noises to help you understand your dog, perhaps it would be fun if there was a chicken noises one. Does anyone know of such a thing? I know chickens aren't supposed to be very complex but there seems to be more to most creatures than we rather arrogantly assume. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted February 24, 2010 Share Posted February 24, 2010 Is there a thread about chicken noises. I didn't realise they had such a range. I've seen websites with dog noises to help you understand your dog, perhaps it would be fun if there was a chicken noises one. Does anyone know of such a thing?I know chickens aren't supposed to be very complex but there seems to be more to most creatures than we rather arrogantly assume. couldn't agree more, they are saying lots, be good project for someone to study. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...