Old Speckled Hen

Starting out

Well, it was warm and sunny yesterday so I inspected my first ever hives for my mentor.

The bees were flying,bringing in bright orange and brown pollen. I found one queen easily and there were stores as well as brood. I couldn't find one in the weaker second colony but there were eggs as well as capped and uncapped brood so she must be there somewhere. I must admit I was nervous to start, trying to be gentle but decisive, but it all seemed to come so naturally I was quite moved by it :D Seemed a wonderful way to spend time :D:D:D:D

One hive is made up and I will be putting that out this coming weekend. I have been promised a free nuc :dance::dance: but was told I might as well get the hive out in case any bees want to come live in it. I am unsure of what to put in it though. I haven't any drawn comb so should I just try with some foundation? If so how many frames?

Anyway, I have another flat pack National on the way and two courses booked so .......deep breath and fingers crossed. :D

I am sure your mentor had fully assessed the reasons for opening the hive, but I would say don’t get caught out with a sunny day…it was still cold (in my location ) yesterday even with the sun out.

I see no reason to be opening the hive for at least another 4 to 5 weeks (forced on me due to a 2 week holiday over Easter)

A lot can be assed on a hive from watching the entrance and giving a corner a lift a feeling for weight.

A quick knock on the hive wall will also indicate their state of being from the sound of the buzz they make.

Have fun, but don’t rush to much.