Dinosaur

Closing guinea pigs in at night?

Our guinea pigs have just moved into an Eglu. I am unsure as to whether I should be closing them in every night? Or can I leave the door open so they can go in the run when they want to? We get both cats and foxes in our garden, so I am a bit nervous about leaving them out, but they never want to go in at bedtime!

Well, I never close my unless the temperature is freezing. But, I do have the Guinlu on paving slabs right by the kitchen door. Perhaps I'd be nervous if they were in an exposed position but, although foxes would go for an easy target, or a challenge with a big reward (such as hens), an Eglu/run seems good protection for guineas.

Maybe a Foxwatch would reassure, and set on paved area? Cats have never bothered them here, although many visit the garden.

We have cats and foxes and I only shut them in when I can catch them in their run. They have also become adept at pushing the door open if I don't shut in properly. I have weighted down the run with a couple of bricks to make it a bit more fox proof but they seem fine.