Isabel Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Hi All New here and trying to learn as much as I can! We're planning to let our chickens (to be) free-range in a field 'fenced' in by 50m of electric fencing. They should, I think, have a fairly good size of area - 3-4 chicks. However, had a walk out there today and we'll need to keep them off one end as we need to get some drains in/fixed. The area they're going to be on, is a bit rough from builders dumping stuff there. It's a bit shingly, I guess - some stones, some sharp sand, a few bits of broken slate (I'll pick up as much as I can) and about 80% of it will be grass. Will this be okay for them? I'm a bit worried about getting the electric fence up and running without it earthing but that's another problem. Any advice please. Thanks Isabel Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 They'll be fine on sand stones and slate. I think you have to make sure that as you say it doesn't earth but I believe the bottom is not live so it's a matter of keeping grass down around it No personal experience just listening to others. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Isabel Posted May 2, 2010 Author Share Posted May 2, 2010 Phew - that's a relief! They'll eventually move to bottom of garden but it's new grass and I want to give it a while ! Thanks Plum. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...