squidsin Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Well, I decided to get just one more bantam in the end, and went for the buff pekin as she looked cuddlier than the silver partridge - and also, my neighbour's little boy says they are 'his' chickens as he can see them out of his window (bless - he comes round to feed them too), and I thought a goldy coloured one would stand out better for him! The breeder was really nice, and said to just chuck them in together, as I've only had my pair a couple of weeks so relationships aren't established yet. Nugget didn't seem at all fazed by the presence of Twizzler (the newbie) because she is a very laid-back chicken, but Popcorn pecked her a few times, and I separated them for a bit while the other two FRed, then put them back together in the run and they seemed OK. Not best buddies, but OK. They've gone to bed in the Eglu now, and Twizzler's been kicked out a couple of times, but she's still in there now so fingers crossed I can nip out and close the door soon (although I might wait until it's dark). I'll post pix tomorrow but my newbie looks slightly different from my other pekins - a bit bigger and less compact and fluffy. I wonder if she's actually a cross-breed? Or is there a difference within breed strains? I don't mind as she is lovely anyway - you can tell me what you think! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 I agree in the pictures I've seen of buff pekins they are very appealing. Congratulations, let us know your neighbours reaction. Bless him Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...