squidsin Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 When I took over my allotment from some friends, turned out I also inherited some very invasive horseradish! They didn't warn me about it, so I didn't know it was there and planted on top of it - and how it's come up through my vegetable beds. I can't dig it out without damaging my plants now, so all I've been doing is chopping it down - but has anyone got any advice? Or do I just wait for winter and dig it out then? There's tons of the stuff and I've had a go at getting a root out - it seems to go down for flippin' miles! I do love horseradish sauce though and will happily pickle it if I can get it out... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 I waited for winter and dug mine out - but mine wasn't too invasive, just very tenacious! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 The roots will go down quite deep and the foliage will just come and come no matter how often you chop. Why don't you just move it now and replant your veggies. Don't throw it away though as fresh horseradish is wonderful. Once you've made your own sauce you'll never buy the pre made pickled pap 100g freshly grated horseradish root A pinch of sugar 2 tsp cider vinegar 1 tsp hot English mustard 125g crème fraiche Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper 1. Combine the horseradish, sugar, vinegar and mustard. Leave to macerate for 30 minutes, then fold in the crème fraiche. Season to taste. Refrigerate and use within 24 hours. Wonderful. I made some yesterday. You can grate the root onto lots of things too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
squidsin Posted May 10, 2010 Author Share Posted May 10, 2010 Mmm sounds delicious. I absolutely adore horseradish sauce, with salmon as well as with beef. The horseradish is growing up through a crop of potatoes, so I can't move the plants - I'll have to wait until the spuds are harvested. Can you eat horseradish root at any time? The plant doesn't have to be in flower or anything like that? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Can you eat horseradish root at any time? The plant doesn't have to be in flower or anything like that? Yep just dig it up when you want to, it will grow more roots as the foliage expands. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...