fluffyfeet Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Can anybody give me an idea of how old chickens usually are before you are able to reliably say whether they are male or female? I've got some bantam hens on order, most not even eggs yet, but there is one, a Wyandotte, that was a few days old when I saw it, and if it turns out to be a hen she is mine. The others I have ordered are Barbu Duccle, Sussex, and Maran. Thanks Dawn x I'm having a Pekin too but I know that's around 4 weeks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickyhazel Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 It depends on the breed. With some hybrids, they can be sexed at birth. With most purebreds, they can be sexed at around 5 weeks, but this is a guideline and it varies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...