Daphne

caught a 3rd swarm today

OK OK I know this is getting a bit boring but today there was yet another swarm in the garden. This time it was on the side of my new hive - ie not hanging in a cluster. I assumed it was the swarm which I caught on Thursday emerging because the sun came out and it didn't like its new quarters. My co-beek was about and we decided to call our mentor as unsure how to get them off the hive. He was at home and came to assist. He said he'd never seen bees on the side of a hive before. We checked the original hive - all going well. We checked Hive No2 with Thursday's swarm, they'd taken down the syrup and we found 3-4 frames of foundation being drawn out, uncapped stores and some eggs - tho no Queen, but then we didn't linger very long; its still cold. He just s"Ooops, word censored!"ed the bees off the hive with the edge of a cardboard box so they fell into the box. We then very hurriedly made up Hive No3 and put them on a board so they could walk in. And in they went. We didn't spot the/a Queen here either but my mentor said they were behaving like a swarm. I guess they could be a cast or it may be a bizarre co-incidence. So we've gone from 1 hive to 3 in the space of 5 days. I feel certain this isn't the end of the story and I'm not sure its going to end happily. For now, I am exhausted. Its so time-consuming!

Gosh, definitely not boring! Keep on with the information; someone in my local group had this experience, his bees swarmed, he recaptured them and put them in a second hive and then a few days later had another swarm/cast. Lucky you had a third hive available.

Ah well - my gut instinct was right. Went to give Hive3 a feed this am - and not a bee to be seen! In a way I'm relieved, I've lost the best part of a working day to dealing with them so far and as I'm not feeling A1 in health its all more of an effort than it should be. Quickly checked Hive2 and they all seem busy and most importantly still in their hive! No sign of errant Hive3 occupants - although I've just realised a place I didn't check; as its where we found Swarm 1 I'd best go and have a look :D

You're right about being lucky - my co-beek is MrPractical so he does all the hive assembling and frame-making up. We've got 3 people on hand to give advice and practical assistance so I do realise we've got more support than most. I was talking to my mentor yesterday and he asked if I felt ready to do the beginners bee-keeping certificate (its not really called that but you get the picture). Errr.....No...unless there's a special swarm module!