flinchy Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 So sorry - I only ever seem to use this forum to air worries. I have no advice to give as yet in fact I wonder if I will ever make it to be an advice giver as my confidence in all things henny is not good at the mo. My two girls - Fa shizzle and R dizzle (don't ask - it is a long story involving my teenage sons) - are not laying at all well and the soft egg business is probably making them cranky. Don't get me wrong - they are delightful and seem happy enough in their extended run - but the moment they pop into the Go to "have a go (at egg laying)" nothing much happens in there or they mess things up - lots of throwing around of hay and pooping - and we have not had a hard shelled egg now for 5 days, but there is no pattern time wise to their soft shelled egg production. I have recently taken advice from a fellow henfriend and re-newed their layers pellets (ie bought fresh), am now giving them corn only in the afternoon, plenty of access to grit and no treats at all - but it is 5 days in and I feel downheartened.. Is it me, is it them? Clearing up soft shelled eggs was not what I thought I would be doing - and certainly i can't ask my neighbour to do this while I am away for 2 weeks this summer. I thought I would be gambolling out to the garden to pick freshly laid eggs and only have to clean them out once a week! Sorry to moan. Shall just keep up with the regime and see what happens? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jomeena Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 Cant really help with this but just wanted to say dont loose heart. There are lots of people on this site who will be able to give advise. Hang on in there and good luck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 try upping the calcium a little If the grit doesnt contain seashell add some of that to it (small amounts can be bought on ebay) Limestone flour in the pellets may help After that you go in to various options involving liquid calcium but start simple and increase if necessary Whatever you decide to do add some cod liver oil to the layers pellets (just enough to make them shine a bit) cod liver oil will help the hen absorb any calcium better Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...