a m j Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Hello, i've been 'lurking' reading the forum for a while now, recommended by a friend on a totally unrelated forum to chooks! The information on here is sooo helpful We have 3 bantams, our girlies, who we have had for about 6 weeks now. Top of the pecking order is Matilda a light sussex, Henrietta a New Hampshire Red was top of the pecking order but is moulting so looks like Matilda is in charge at the moment. Tallulah is a White Wyandotte. They free range in our garden for most of the day - loving hubby's veggies lol. He doesn't mind too much and we've put some fencing round some of the stuff he wants to protect a bit more! Just loving watching them and seeing what they get up to. Matilda chased a cat that came in the garden this morning! Have had some eggs from Matilda but she's gone broody, so none for a couple of weeks - she's getting over the broodiness now (i think) I still have to take her out of the nesting box in the morning, but she doesn't rush back in staright away now, the last 2 days I have left the po-hole open and she hasn't gone back to the nest so that's progress. Had about 3 eggs from Henrietta, but again, nothing for a couple of weeks, but I guess that's cos she's moulting. Tallulah hasn't laid yet but I think she is a bit younger than the other girls. They are pets and eggs are just an added extra (Hubby and son intolerant of eggs!!!) The girls are loving the mealworms! I have them for if I have a poorly or young hedgehog to care for that needs the protein! Well, that's us. Will attach a photo when I figure out how Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Hello there, sounds like you are having a great time with your girls and photos would be good Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
capper Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Hi /Welcome Your girls sound like they are having a great time, I wish my ex-batts would eat some veg - I have tried cauliflower but they just ignored it! They love the corn on the cob and mealworms (jumping on your knee when you have the container) but what veg do your girls eat??? I have been very lucky with my eggs but they haven't gone through a moult yet - so still bare bums and necks! Will look for pics when you load them - thats a bit techno for me but to me my funny looking, walking girls are beautiful. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...