Forge Cottage Posted July 25, 2010 Share Posted July 25, 2010 I got a Saturday morning to find that Gertie had suddenly lost 70 feathers overnight and probably another 70 or more throughout the day today, especially where she has been dust bathing or shaking. Their den under the hedge looks like someone has shaken a pillow in there. On close inspection, her general feather condition is very poor. Most very brittle and dry, some with broken shafts and some loose. No sign of mites on her or red mite in the house. I am concerned this loss will continue or accelerate as I cannot imagine what can improve quick enough to turn this around... Is it stress or a disease? Is there anything I can do? Should I be worried?? New Introductions We introduced two other new POL hens 2 weeks ago and placed them in the Eglu after lights out. All quiet overnight, but you would not believe the racket the next morning from 6am (from the lungs of our originals Gertie and Mabel only), which woke up six neighbours on a Saturday morning The new girls must have wondered what on earth was going on: I sat bolt upright in bed, and I had earplugs in! The plan had been to leave them all in the house until lunchtime the first day, to imprint each other and their new home etc. But after they went so bezerk, we let them out. Big mistake and there was carnage, with the two new girls chased all over, pecked and leapt on. Placid Gertie and Mabel became possessed . We have slept all 4 together each night but separated them each day to graze in view of each other - and this has continued for 2 weeks. Slow improvements, but Gertie could not settle so she has slept in a box in our house until we re-introduced her outside 2 nights ago. (connection?) Behaviour and laying Gertie is generally cautious and hates change (she wails if she finds herself alone). We call her our Special Needs chicken! For over a year she has had a bald head-top and does damage her own feathers with over-zealous preening. She has also been the most consistent layer of the biggest eggs. It is almost like she has given her all for her eggs, at her own cost. But when the new girls arrived, she stopped laying (the shock?) and nothing since. She deserves a rest, but eggs would be nice again! Apart from condition, she is generally alert and seems well, certainly fit enough to chase others. She seemed to eat well today. Treatments, Diet, Water and Poo As part of the new girls introduction plan, we cleaned and disinfected the Eglu and louse-powdered all 4 chickens. I put louse powder in the new wood shavings bedding too. The girls have spent the last week on layers pellets mixed with correct dosage Flubenvet and some poultry spice (now complete), but they live on grass and it is difficult to tell the ratio of grass to pellets that they eat. Gertie did have worms. They have access to clean water but she has been eating and drinking noticeably less in the last two weeks and her poos have been unusually small and dry, otherwise normal. I think it is too early, sudden and dramatic for a moult (coupled with the stoppage of eggs). Any suggestions gratefully received - before Gertie becomes Kojak. Thanks all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 25, 2010 Share Posted July 25, 2010 Sounds like a major moult, possibly induced by the stress of the recent changes in her situation. I have had a few moult spectacularly like this over the years and it can be a trifle disconcerting. If there is nothing else obviously amiss, I'd suggest giving her some extra protein, ie breeders pellets, growers pellets or unmedicated chick crumbs, tuna or organic cat food. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Forge Cottage Posted July 25, 2010 Author Share Posted July 25, 2010 Yes, otherwise Gertie seems brighter than she has been since they arrived. So maybe it is a delayed reaction stress. Probably my most practical option today is to buy some tuna or catfood then. Thanks Egluntine, I am obviously with Donald Rumsfeld... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 25, 2010 Share Posted July 25, 2010 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...