Unit

Happy girl but not laying...?

Our three ex-batteries, now with us for several pleasant months, have settled in really well. They all seem happy, alert and full of character & life. However, one of them has stopped laying...

Flack is a real trooper - she's now laid every day for over a month... Not a single miss! Cowboy is more sporadic, laying every second or third day and sometimes a soft-shell that breaks (we've been fiddling with calcium supplements but this just seems to be her way - I think she gets over-excitable and can't keep it in long enough for the shell to form! Heh!)

Danny on the other hand last laid on 17th September (I'm obsessive - I've got a record of egg production since they arrived! Dates, times and who!) She laid several strange looking eggs (pictured) and then two very small, yolk-less eggs before drying up completely. She appears lively and healthy as the others and shows no signs of broodiness or being egg bound. She's not spending prolonged periods on the nest and is eating & drinking, scratting around and generally being her usual self, minus eggs.

Any thoughts on what may have stopped her egg production? Should we be worried or simply accept that she's not laying but happy? With the weird patterns on the last few eggs she laid, does this suggest anything is going on internally? They were of course still very tasty eggs! Any advice would be most appreciated!

5057004278_fcb0c2ec1d.jpgDanny egg swirl. by unit529766

5057004342_6103eb2612.jpgDanny egg weird by unit529766, on Flickr

One of my ex-bat girls had a rest for a month or so over the summer. She laid a few strange eggs (although not quite as strange as yours :lol: ) and then stopped completely. I was convinced that she had simply come to the end of her egg laying days.

However after a few weeks, she started sitting on the nest (but not producing an egg) then finally after about 10 days of doing that, an egg appeared! She has now started laying again.

Don't give up hope on your girl yet, she may simply be needing a break from laying so many eggs.

One of my two girls has just laid the most weird object. It's about 3" long, curved and pink, with k"Ooops, word censored!"bly bits on it. It looks like a ginger root, or perhaps a large piece of sweet & sour chicken Hong Kong style (the smaller pieces in batter)

No kidding, this is real. Cutting it in half across its longitudinal axis reveals a sort of meaty contents, with what look like fat globules and a folded, membranous structure in the centre. Not unlike a co"Ooops, word censored!" sausage or something.

Both chickens are healthy Rhode Island Reds, and one is currently moulting heavily. Between them, they lay one good, healthy egg every other day, and a normal egg was collected yesterday. I don't know which chicken is currently laying, or if it's both of them, nor do I know who produced this object. The chickens are ex-bat and we have had them for about 18 months.

I would post a photo of this thing, but it really is gross and I would not want to upset anyone with the picture. However I will take a photo just in case anyone wants to see it.

This is not an egg, at least not like anything I have ever seen. Anyone have any ideas what it could be, please, just from the description?

The top egg looks as if there is summat up in the section of the egg laying tackle where the membranes are laid down, as the squiggly bit looks like an extra twirl of membrane which had been incorporated into the shell at the end stage of egg production.

She could just be coming to the end of her laying, and things do do wonky in ex batts, even when they are relatively young, in this department, as they become exhausted.

She could have an infection, but you say she is happy enough, so probably not.

It might be just a blip, and when she has had a moult, things may perk up.