FudgeNessa

Re introducing bunnies after ops

Hello

I am newby to all this so please bear with me.

We have two mini lops, Nessa and Fudge. When first bought we were told they were both females, it turned out Fudge was male and they have now both been done and have been separated for 2 weeks to get over their ops. They are in a two tier hutch (5ft long) with a board separating the two and they have a separate run on the lawn, they are now also in the shed. We have been giving them separate time in the run to get their exercise and they have bounced back from the operations very well. Yesterday was the first day (2 weeks aprox since ops) that we introduced them, a couple of times the female Nessa tried to hump Fudge the male, but gave up and they were fine together and there was a lot of licking and then ended up laying next to each other. They were in the run for a good 4 hours or so. Today I have tried the same again and there was a lot of humping on behalf of Nessa and Fudge then started chasing her, I felt I had to intervene and got Nessa's off on a couple of occasions, then carried on chasing and getting hold of each other and eventually I intervened and took Nessa out. I then put Nessa in the top tier of the hutch where Fudge had been to get used to his smells etc again and Fudge back a bit later in Nessa's part of the hutch. I don't want to give up on this and hope it will ease off, which from what I have read it will. I know there are still a lot of hormones raging and Fudge seems to have bounced back quicker and obviously being the male was far more dominant before being done. Any advice would be much appreciated. They were done early because Fudge was getting very dominant and are only 5 months old, they are from the same litter and have been together from day one and only apart for their ops.

Thank you

is there anyway you can divide the run so that they can be face to face, sniff each other etc, without full on access to each other?

I did this earlier in the summer when introducing 2 bunnies, and it worked a treat - in fact after a week they demolished the barrier themselves, and have been best friends ever since.

Yes, I could I just need to make something really, something with wire, so that they can see eachother, failing that I have thought about either borrowing if I can or buying another run. Today I swapped them over in the hutch so they had each others smells again. Fudge just didn't want to get into the pet carrier for me to take him to the run, Nessa did but I was loathed to let her go in the run on her own and for her to start thinking she'd got one over him!! I really want them to keep being reintroduced and for it to be successful and know how important exercise is for them too. Sunday was usuch a success. Such a frustrating position. They've both bounced back from their ops so well but Nessa is obviously still very hormonal but I am also so aware that they shouldn't be a part for too long.

could you put them together in their outside run, and divide it off with bamboo canes slotted through the holes in the wire (if that makes sense!) then they could have their outdoors time close by each other, but still go back to separate sleeping arrangments till you are happy with them being together.

Thank you for your replies. I have been able to borrow another run from tomorrow, so feel much happier not only about re introducing them but that they will also get their exercise. The runs can go right next to each other and hopefully they will make friends again. Does anyone know how long it takes for the female to calm down as it seems to be her that is certainly still very hormonal. Fudge has turned into a lovely, loving rabbit, but Nessa is still so scatty!!

Thank you again, here's to more success :P

Well I have put the runs next to each other, not as close as I would like, so I may have to do some re adjusting later. But they have been inquisitive, although keeping at arms length most of the time. I really need Nessa to get rid of some excess energy she seems to be full of it first thing in the morning and is completely ransacking her bit of the hutch. I am also going to swap some clean bedding over so they get each others smells again. It's a never ending saga!

Hasn't been much need for the other run, after being in separate runs during the day I've been putting them together for say 20 minutes and they've been great, Nessa has tried to hump Fudge on a couple of occasions, but once he has barged her off and chased her they calm down and start grooming each other. Yesterday there was no humping at all. Today, so far, they've been in the run together for an hour and only two attempts at humping but lots of grooming.

My dilehma now is when I should put them back together in the hutch, as not being able to see them during the night is my worry. I think I will do this for another week and then reintroduce in the hutch for a whole day and keep an eye on them.