hilda-and-evadne

Government support for back garden bee keepers

Thursday 7 October 2010

Government announces support for backgarden beekeepers

http://www.number10.gov.uk/news/latest-news/2010/10/government-announces-support-for-backgarden-beekeepers-55473

The Government has recognised the importance of bees to the national economy by lending support to backgarden beekeepers.

The Course in a Case project, announced by Defra today, seeks to improve beekeepers’ skills in caring for their bees through free training and advice. ...

Under the initiative, 400 volunteer teachers across England and Wales will train alongside government bee inspectors, who already offer advice to beekeepers on pests and diseases. Training materials will also be delivered through local beekeeping associations.

The project comes under the Government’s Healthy Bees Plan. It will be run in partnership by the British Beekeeping Association (BBKA) and National Diploma of Beekeeping Board (NDBB), and jointly funded by Defra.

There's a downloadable file on preparing honey bee colonies for the winter.

Thanks, that's interesting - I'd read about this in the BBKA Magazine (I think). Good to know there are some resources being directed at this. Hardly anyone in our local group has done any bee keeping exams, and they don't do much to encourage it as far as I can see.