beach chick

A bad quail day...

got up this morning and went out to see the girls - to find a mass of white feathers around the outside of one eglu run. could only see 4 quail, so assumed that something had had 2 of them.

I then discovered one badly wounded one crouched in the nest box, and another one with a small wound.

so I dispatched the bad one (horrible horrible :cry: ) and moved the remaining 5 into the tortoise cage in the garage and cleaned up the other one with some warm salty water.

went out an hour later to find that they'd had a go at the wounded one - or the cat had got a claw through - so have now isolated the wounded one in a cat box and put them all into the other garage, the one with a door...

am now thinking that if fox could get at them through the eglu run I might have to put the rabbit hutch inside the WIR??

what a day, all made worse by time pressures as we had to go to lunch at the inlaws 70 miles away.

thanks for that - this lot were in the eglu and run, but there was a bit of a gap between run and eglu (for various historical reasons, I couldnt attach them together properly). on reflection, I think it might have been one of our cats, I think the fox might have been rather more efficient, and he has been out prowling around the other eglu/run with the other set of quail in.

wounded one seems to be fine in herself, not sure she's enjoying the cat box but darent put her back in with the others!