Eggasperated

15cm snow round electric fence

After last nights snow the bottom wires of my electric fence were buried in the snow - I have cleared this away as best I can but the wires are still frozen, how likely is this to affect the efficiency of the fence? Will the fence get brittle in very cold temperatures?

This chicken keeping business is never easy is it. :lol:

I've been wondering the same thing.

Certainly there is some charge going through my fence but it is not as strong as usual. And even if I shake the fence and get the bottom strands free from snow the rest is frozen on so no hope to keep on top of that.

I did see what looked like fox prints in the snow this morning.

I'm just hoping the tingle is just enough to keep the fox at bay.

Never thought I'd be spending so much time clearing paths for them and checking that their food and water is not frozen. On the plus side it is quite nice to make the first footprints in fresh snow.

Like you I have given the battery a good charge. I cleared about 4inches from around the base of the fence this morning but have just been out again as it has been snowing all day and tried to clear more away - up to a foot now (probably over a foot deep in parts) and that's since this morning. :shock:

Anyway the fence is still tingling even if it is a little lopsided from the weight of the snow. Just have to see what overnight brings now.

On top of how well the girls are coping (the ducks in particular) I collected 5 eggs today. Given that only 5 of my girls have ever laid so far that is pretty good work from them. They were all in a cluster in a corner of the hen house rather than in the nesting box. Maybe sitting on them keeps the chickens warm?

I seem to have spent the last few days clearing snow from both the chicken run and my polytunnel (as I am worried the plastic will split from the weight of snow round the base). Luckily the fence still seems to be working ok, I've found it seems to be the earth rod that's one of the problems as the voltage on that has gone up which I assume is because the ground is frozen.

My girls have all been laying (apart from Carol who gave up months ago), much earlier in the day than usual and also generally on the floor now rather than in the nest box, I thought perhaps Alice wouldn't let the others in the nest box but maybe it is something to do with the cold.

Hope this snow goes away soon as my girls seem to be eating so much extra food I shall be running out before long :!: