Tara.F

woodpecker?

Something has tried to get in my hive (wooden national)

The damage is right at the bottom where the brood box meets the hive floor and it looks like little chisel marks. Fortunately, whatever it was didn't manage to get right through the wood yet and I've covered the whole hive in chicken wire so if it was 'woody' he should be thwarted!

But I thought that woodpecker damage would have been further up?

And would have been little holes rather long thin gouges?

Does anyone know? google hasn't helped....pictures all show completed round holes and I'm worried this might be rat damage or something!

Tara.

hmmmm... :?

I've been going back to check each day or two and so far my defences seem to be holding.

Maybe though it's just because the weather has got mild and there are lots of insects about....

The damage doesn't look much like the photo, no little round holes on mine! but then, the hive in the photo isn't cedar which might make a difference.

I'll try and get a picture (although it's morning and looks as dark as night out there!)

Tara.F,

the hive in the photo isn't cedar

What is your reasoning for that observation, please?

I would not be surprised if it were thirty years old and has never been treated with preservative. Looks like it is very likely cedar, to me. The roof is old. If unprotected and other wood than cedar, I would expect a lot of rot.

I would hazard a guess and say it is an old Th*rne product, or one the suppliers engulfed by them over the years.

Metal mouse guards fitted securely are a good deterrent to rodents.

RAB

Ahh, okay, you're right! of course

what I should have said was that it didn't look like the same wood as mine from the photo.

I suspect you are correct, perhaps it is just older cedar.

I was just musing that perhaps the difference in the marks could be down to the fact that the newer wood on my hive is harder? I am really hoping that the damage is 'stoppable' woodpecker rather than the more frightening prospect of rat, and so am grasping at straws in the absence of definitive proof!

I do have a mouseguard on the entrance but the damage is at the back.

I couldn't get over there today to get a photo, the heavens opened and the drainage ditch flooded preventing access.