jillyflute Posted March 24, 2011 Share Posted March 24, 2011 Hi. I have 3 lovely healthy (so far...) hens who started laying last November soon after they arrived. We noticed that one of them has pecked an egg a couple of times. What's the reason for this & does it matter? We're trying to get in early to collect them.... Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted March 24, 2011 Share Posted March 24, 2011 Welcome to the forum . It's not something you want to become a habit as they could end up eating all their own own eggs . Removing the eggs as quickly as possible is the best bet but if it becomes a problem there are solutions like pot eggs (hard ceramic eggs that hurt their beaks when they peck) or filling an eggshell with mustard. There are also special nestboxes (called roll away nestboxes) so they can't reach the eggs. Hopefully you'll nip it in the bud before then . I'm just going to pop this into the Egg section for you . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jillyflute Posted March 24, 2011 Author Share Posted March 24, 2011 Thanks for that. No problem this morning so hopefully it won't become a habit. I'll try the ceramic egg if it happens again. My husband is allergic to mustard & loves the 'girls' so I can't see him allowing that solution.... I'm enjoying reading the forum. Thanks again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...