Surfnirvana

Should my next new chooks be vaccinated?

I've been thinking about getting some new chooks as my remaining two are rather elderly and I don't want them to be lonely should one of them pop off the mortal perch soon.

I have been tempted with some buff orpingtons and I have found a hobby breeder who currently has some available, but she has said they haven't been vaccinated for anything , whereas her hybrids have been as they have been bought in by a large supplier. Should I avoid getting non vaccinated chooks at all? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Hi i have some vaccinated hybrids and orpingtons and pekin bantams that are not vaccinated they all run together and i have never had any problems i have found out before that some people just say their birds have been vaccinated when they havent i dont know if this makes them easier to sell leanne :)

You tend to only get vaccinated birds from larger breeders and vaccines are sold in mega bulk quanities making it difficult for hobby breeders to do. Vaccinations do not provide lifelong protection. It is important to quarantine new birds especially if they are not vaccinated before mixing them with the existing flock - or birds from other suppliers. Whether to get unvaccinated birds is something you have to weigh up yourself. I suppose you could say that birds from large suppliers are perhaps more susceptible to picking up disease as they may be kept in larger numbers in more stressed conditions. Smaller hobby breeders housing and conditions may put them at less risk but I would base this on how well they are kept. I would have a good look around to give yourself an idea of hygiene etc.