esta

Chickens toes are coming off

Hey Guys,

Bit concerned about Joan, the toes on her left foot have gone black including the toenails, and appear to be falling off. Joan is about 3-4 years old, very healthy i.e. red comb, bright eyed, will hop and fly away when she gets frightened, eating and drinking as normal...

Do you think this could be frost bite, as none of the other chickens/bantams/guinea fowl have this, just her. We had snow at winter time, but we have had that for the past couple of years and had no problems with her. She started sitting down, and limping on one foot. So i pulled her out and sprayed her legs with scaly leg spray to see if that helped, while her scales have gone down on one foot the other appears to be 'rotting'.

Any ideas guys :D

Thanks so much ! xx

this happened to one of my malays. Her toes blackened and fell off. The ends were warm and red and the vet diagnosed infected arthritis. She had antibiotics for a week, the toe-stumps healed and she's fine now, no limp or any walking problems. We do keep an eye on her toes to make sure all is well.

Edited by Guest