chris spray

drawing out foundation

Just completed my second inspection 2 weeks after placing new colony in my Beehaus. They haven't started drawing out the 3 new frames I put in the hive yet. Honey stores have gone up and the brood is bigger now but still only on 3 frames.

Any thoughts on when I can expect the 3 new frames to start to be drawn?

Chris

I'm not familiar with the Beehaus having only played with one at a show somewhere. Bees need warmth to draw foundation so make sure they are not in too big a space. I did an AS in late April so my bees were put in box full of foundation with one frame of stores and one of brood. The weather since has been pants and they were not drawing very quickly till I bumped into the answer...or it bit me on the nose... I put the inspection tray in and they are doing much better.

There are some simple things to take into account here.

If it is a beehaus, it's a waste of space putting it in to try to keep the colony warm. The board is a joke.

If it has lttle clearance from the OMF, any live varroa will likely climb back up.

If it is below the floor, it will collect debris and encourage scavengers (wax moth per eg).

The benefits are really only for a small colony with brood space limited to towards the bottom edges of the frames (like when stuffed full of sugar syrup unecessarily, per eg - but that, as I see it, is a failing of the beekeeper, not the bees).

I have OMFs on 3 frame nucs at the present time and my nucs overwintered with OMFs. Enough bees and they will take care of climate control in the hive, provided the cavity is not excessive (again, down to the beekeeper).

Putting in three frames of foundation is far too much for a nuc, especially if the weather is at all chilly. One (or two maximum) would be much more appropriate. It is normally properly advised to only add just two frames when installing a nucleus onto deep frames in a full hive. Three jumbos are equivalent to 5 deeps!

It may also be another problem - they may be extending deep frames with wild comb - again an utter waste of time and effort, if the plan is to move the bees to 14 x 12 frames and remove the original nucleus frames.

It might also depend onthe quality of the supplied nuc, but no need to go there as there are no details, but I would assume it is a thrown-together nuc from spare parts available at the time of purchase, unless otherwise stated, so may take some time to get balanced.

So a lot of guessing and not much to go on.

RAB