hunkydoory Posted June 1, 2011 Share Posted June 1, 2011 Hi, Can anyone advise me? My Pekins are looking decidely dirty, dust bathing in fairly wet soil isn't helpful As they are white or lavendar the dirt definately shows up - why didn't I go for blacks? Anyway, I want to know what to use as 'Pekin Shampoo'? Anything to avoid, anything to recommend - I'd be glad to hear. At least bathing them will provide some respite from dealing with their broodiness Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted June 1, 2011 Share Posted June 1, 2011 Mild dog shampoo, baby shampoo or horse shampoo are all ok If their feet are muddy then wash those off first to avoid getting the bath water filthy Add the shampoo to the water not to the bird (makes rinsing so much harder) and make the water chest deep to support them and they will be less likely to flap. Rinse them in another lot of clean warm water (I use rubber tub trugs for the two lots of water) then towel dry - there is a pic on my thread here showing water depth http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=71881&hilit=bathtime%21 Of course you need only wash the part of them that is dirty rather than do a full wash Always let them either dry naturally in a box overnight by a gentle heater or dry them with a hairdryer, dont put them outside when wet Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hunkydoory Posted June 1, 2011 Author Share Posted June 1, 2011 Many thanks, I will endeavour to bath them tomorrow. A nice weather forecast means they can dry off in the sunshine. Just hope they don't decide to dust bath whilst still damp God bless ps lovely looking boys - want one Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...