gongladosh

moving a beehaus

Unfortunately one of my neighbours has asked me to move my new beehaus...

It's located to one side away from everything and has hardly had any vast quantity of bees going in our out, but in recent years our neighbour has become rather an 'awkward' man so trying to reason is unfortunately not an option.

This leaves us with a dilemma - how do we move the bees? They need to move around 2 metres to the right, and about 5 metres back (which is on a slightly raised part of the garden) .

I understand that you can move the beehaus less than a metre or more than 3 miles, but what timescales apply to this?

ie. Can I move it up to a metre a day or up to a metre a week? (etc)

Also, can I move it sideways (as that's what I need to do as the first part of the moving process)?

One part of the move is to move upstairs

Help...

Three feet or 3 miles; I metre or 5km.

Short measurement is daily if bees are actively flying. Large one is two weeks. There are no particular dimensions mentioned in that rule.

RAB

A beehaus is what? About 975mm. So, in old money, about three foot two.

The 3 foot or 3 mile rule is 'a rule of thumb', not an absolute figure.

I don't think the bees will get lost with the extra two inches. It will be OK.

This a simple translational mathematical application. It would not include rotational movements, per eg.

RAB

ah, cool - I tend to err on the safe side with my questioning :-)

so, one last question arises following a little research I did last night: one option would be to move the beehaus (whilst fully sealed) after dark when the bees will all be in the hive - some beekeeping sites I found seemed to indicate that you could do the full move after dark and the bees would figure it out rather than a stepwise approach over a series of days.

Do you personally reckon this is a bad move or is it viable?

How do you think that would help? They need to be re-orientated to the new position or they will dash out, for nectar/pollen/whatever, the next morning and on returning (on auto-pilot) will arrive where the hive was. If it is greatly in excees of that three foot rule they will be lost and never find the new hive position.

RAB