littlegem Posted June 4, 2011 Share Posted June 4, 2011 Both my chickens have always laid nearly every day since I have had them. Just one of them has occasionally become broody for a few days. I have not had any eggs for either of them though for the last week and as I am new to chicken keeping I am wondering if this is normal or if there is a problem. For example is this to do with their age or the time of the year, they both seem fine and are not broody. Any advice would be appreciated..........I miss my eggs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bostock422 Posted June 4, 2011 Share Posted June 4, 2011 I noticed that on your signature their first egg was in 2008, so they would be about 3, and hybrids stop laying as many eggs when they're 3ish Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
littlegem Posted June 4, 2011 Author Share Posted June 4, 2011 Thanks I guessed it might be that..........how long do hybrids live for Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted June 5, 2011 Share Posted June 5, 2011 Have you wormed them recently, that can cause them to stop or lay less eggs. Two of my hybrids did not make two years of age, the other two of my originals are still going strong, Ivory lays about 3 eggs a week, and Latte about one a week. As we had them as POL they must be over 3 and a half now. I would worm yours with Flubenvet if you have not done it recently and make sure they are eating a good amount of layers pellets, perhaps limit FRing and treats and see if that has any affect on eggs. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bostock422 Posted June 5, 2011 Share Posted June 5, 2011 the average life span of a chicken is 7 years Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
littlegem Posted June 5, 2011 Author Share Posted June 5, 2011 Thanks for the advice Chrissie I use Diatomaceous Earth and Verm X pellets would I still need to use Flubenvet Have already cut out their treats and free ranging and they get plenty of layers pellets. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...