Janepie33 Posted June 9, 2011 Share Posted June 9, 2011 Bocket is quite lethargic, has a floppy comb, diarrhoea and a bloated back end. Just took her to the vet who had a feel around to see if she was egg bound (she wasn't) and to see if she had a temperature . It was 41.6. The vet admitted that she knew very little about chickens and suggested that Bockett could have an x ray at the cost of £160 She then gave me a number of a local exotic pet vet. Before I spend 100s of £s I don't have, dose anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Thanks in advance Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 9, 2011 Share Posted June 9, 2011 Sounds like peritonitis. Could you suggest to the vet that she might need the fluid draining and a course of antibiotics? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janepie33 Posted June 9, 2011 Author Share Posted June 9, 2011 She was a bit reluctant to drain the fluid - she said it might cause peritonitis! Sadly the usual vet who knows about chickens is on holiday and she is a locum. I will try another vet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted June 9, 2011 Share Posted June 9, 2011 Sadly any treatment tends to be palliative, it does come back even when drained Unfortunately her prognosis is not good Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 9, 2011 Share Posted June 9, 2011 I agree. I certainly wouldn't part with £160 at this stage. Good luck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janepie33 Posted June 9, 2011 Author Share Posted June 9, 2011 Phoned 2 more vets. One an 'exotic' expert - consultation alone is £59 and any drugs another £50 + The next one would see her but again said they are not experts. Off to vet number 4. Will let you know! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janepie33 Posted June 9, 2011 Author Share Posted June 9, 2011 Thanks for your advice Egluntyne and Chucky Mama it helped with my decision at the vet's. The vet confirmed peritonitis and we agreed that the best thing to do was to put her to sleep. I have brought her home to bury her in the garden. DS and OH thought I was mad to take her to the vet in the first place and had both offered to do the deed themselves. The vet was excellent and one of the only ones I could find who was happy to deal with a chicken at a reasonable cost. I think there is a list somewhere on the forum of good chicken vets and I think this guy should be on it His name is Ian, but I can't find his surname on his website. He is an independent vet and his practice has been open about 4 months. Vet4life 160 High Street Teddington Middlesex TW11 8HZ Tel 020 8977 3955 Website http://www.vet4life.co.uk/ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted June 9, 2011 Share Posted June 9, 2011 Sorry to hear that but I think you made a sensible decision. It is horribly common sadly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...