Clarabelle

Advice on chicken to rabbit conversion

Hi there,

With a heavy heart I rehomed my chickens last night and I now have an empty eglu. I also have a Belgian Hare cross that lives indoors in a crate, but gets lifted into a run in the garden every day. He hates being handled though and has started to go for me when I try and lift him into his carry box, so I was wondering what people thought about the suitability of the eglu and run for a large rabbit.

Is it worth investing in the conversion kit or do others just use the tray with the roosting bars removed? Do rabbits chew the plastic? I think I would be worried that Rufus would just stay out in the garden all night and we have regular visits from foxes. I'm not sure how well I'd sleep on the first night if we put him outside!

Alternatively, should I just try and sell my chicken eglu and get him a large rabbit mansion with the proceeds? Any recommendations? I love the Runaround system so would probably connect his new living quarters with his existing run if that's the way I decided to go.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Edited by Guest

hi - we did the chicken-rabbit conversion, and personally I found it was not ideal. the rabbit tray insert thing has ended up being an expensive (but very useful) plant nursery for stuff I buy but dont have time to plant!! plus the only way in and out of the run is to crawl through the door, which is fine if you are 11 years old/tiny but not so good if you are a bit bigger.

I think your solution of the runaround system might be the way to go (have heard good things about it).

Hi there,

I personally think the runaround system is a bit expensive - I would instead spend the money giving my bunnies additional space in the form of an aviary and shed/wendyhouse setup and just have a few tunnels in there. I think you could give a rabbit much more space for the money that way...

I love the runaround but £200 (i think!) for a binky box that is barely 5ft square...? Sure you could get a run at least double that size or a decent sized aviary for that money. :shock:

Thanks for your advice, I think I might sell the Eglu afterall. In fact, I've already had two people ask me if I'm selling so I don't think it will be difficult to shift.

I wasn't thinking of getting lots of the Runaround stuff - just the door and burrow pipe to join a hutch to a moveable run, but I agree, it is expensive stuff. Very niche market though so I can understand why it is priced the way it is. Let's face it, the Eglu isn't cheap either.

I was looking at the Trixie Natura Apex hutch, but I'm worried that the hutch bit might not be big enough for Rufus. Has anyone out there found the perfect home??? I'm not sure about an aviary as I think it might be too tall - my garden is small and I don't want it to be dominated.

I just had a look at the Runaround website; I would think if you were handy something similar could be made quite easily, it doesnt look exactly hi-tech!

dont know either of the hutches you were looking at, but will post you a link to mine if that helps?

Oh yes, please do - I really like getting ideas from other people and seeing their set ups. The fox was brazenly wandering around last night and it really made me think twice about putting Rufus back outside. However, I want to get something that is really good quality so it should be fox proof.

I've been looking at the following:

http://gardenwoodcraft.co.uk/rabbit_hutches/rabbit_hutch_eg.htm

http://www.rehutches.com/

Has anyone got a hutch from either? Their feedback seems very positive, but they are pretty expensive. Unfortunately I'm not that handy with tools and don't want to make a bodge of a hutch or run.

Thanks,

We have trined our rabbit to jump in to his carry box, I just leave it in the living room when he is out and put treats in it from time to time, then when I need him in it he usually goes most of the way in so I treat him and then close the door on him. I always treat him when he goes in. I also do this to get him back in his cage, I just drop a few pellets in his food bowl and he's in there like a shot! I don't buy anything special, I just use the pellets we feed him.

Our rabbit is a house rabbit and we have been using the eglu as an outdoor run for the last couple of days with no problem.

Hope this helps!

TC.

TC - that's exactly what I'm doing with Rufus now and he's getting really good at going in his carry box so he must realise that he's going outside for grass and fresh air.

The next obstacle is trying to find him a friend - one rescue has already declined to allow me to adopt and I'm awaiting a reply from another. I really don't feel as though he is suffering from lack of space.