Nature Chick

Pig housing advice!

Hello

We are about to adopt a pair of guinea pigs from the RSPCA and have been advised to get a hutch that is 4ft by 2ft. The plan is that my husband will make a run for the garden for the spring, summer and autumn and in the winter we will make them a pen in our utility room.

I have seen some hutches with plastic floors (Summer Meadows and Trixie) which I like the idea or having had an eglu for our hens which I can clean easily.

I was wondering if anyone had a Summer Meadows or Trixie hutch and what they thought of them.

Any other suggestions of a good hutch would be gratefully received.

p.s. I looked at hutches with runs underneath but heard that guinea pigs can struggle with the ramps and even fall down the holes - is this true?

Many thanks

S

This is my hutch, but the 4ft version. I have had it 5 years and it is still really good. It is weather proof, the floor lifts out for easy cleaning the only thing we did was replace the silly little heart door fastener with a proper bolt. I like top opening hutches, makes catching guineas so much easier then having to chase them up and down. I just herd mine into a corner and scoop them up.