vidic

Quail house?

Hi, I want to get some quail, most likely Japanese quail and probably two though i'm open to advice as I've never had quail before.

With regard to teir housing, we already have this hutch below with attached run empty in the garden. would it be ok for them?

http://www.equipetstores.com/Product/Cheeko-Wooden-Hutch-with-Run-Combo/297132/387.3

Alternatively, would this suit?

http://www.equipetstores.com/Product/Cheeko-Apex-Hutch-Standard/296684/387.3

The house you have looks fine to me.

I'd get 3 Quail to start with - if you have a breeding trio then you know the one won't get worn out.

Mine are in a rabbit hutch and I'm in the process of thinking of moving them to a bigger run. They don't need that much space but as with everything overcrowding can lead to bullying/boredom.

I got the Katie Thear book and also ready an article in Practical Poultry magazine (a few months ago) and they suggested your set up would be fine. :)

They are real characters - I love the sort of twangy chirrup they make.

They can eat normal layers pellets and are very easy to keep.

Great, thanks for your reply. I just disinfected and cleaned out that hutch that I already have so delighted it will do for quail.

I was planning to get three girls as I just want eggs I don't want/need to breed them as for one I don't know anyone who wants baby quail lol!

Do Japanese quail come in white?

Yes they come in white - I have a couple of white ones. There are all sorts of colours out there. Quail only live for a couple of years but mature very quickly from young. I think at about 6 weeks they are mature enough to lay eggs!

I'm by no means an expert - I'm finding out as I go. My white ones got bullied by my range ones after living happily together for weeks. They looked scalped but survived and are fit and well again now (although in a separate house). I want to create a bigger home so they can all go in together again. So Quail are surprisingly tough.

Also you have to egg hunt - they tend to lay towards the end of the day and not necessarily in a particular place so I'm always rooting round their house looking for their eggs. :)