meezers

Is my cat jealous?

As some of you will know, following the death of one of my siamese I brought 2 more kittens into our house - a 5 month old oriental who lives in the bedroom and a younger siamese who goes everywhere. My two original cats are a 7 yr old siamese, who is OK with the new additions- just carries on as normal, and a 3 year old Birman who I'm worried is jealous. Rolo, the Birman is the biggest softie going ( as long as you aren't a rodent :wink: ) , he doesn't fight and sits on all our laps, loves nothing better than gnawing on and drooling over my fingers. He is fine with Yoda ( the siamese kitten) tolerating the constant ambushing and pestering to play, but has only met bedroom cat twice - both times he just stared at and swore at him until he terrified the poor animal into peeing himself.

Since the new kittens have arrived we've noticed Rolo has turned into something of a grump - he'll still sit on us, but will turn for no apparent reason - we can be stroking him then he'll hiss or try to bite us without warning. I feel a bit guilty as I've obviously caused this change in his personality by bringing the kittens into the house.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think he'll go back to his old self given time? Any ideas how to deal with it?

Hi, I've got two new kittens and my older cat doesn't get on with the boy kitten but tolerates the girl. She's never liked other cats in the house though and really disliked Dave (even though they're cuddled up in the photo below).

Have you checked your cat over for any injuries? Sophie my older cat has a problem with her tail and if anyone strokes her near it she will turn and bite. Perhaps your cat might have some scratches or something like that on him from where the Siamese has been coming up for a play?

I hope you can get your cat over the jealousy but I think sometimes you just have to accept that they won't all get on together. :roll:

I did wonder about an injury, he hasn't long had his vaccinations, so I thought he may be feeling a bit under the weather. But he'll grumble and hiss at us even when we aren't touching him . Seems he's tolerating the kitten but taking his temper out on us :( I want my old Roly back.