agent202 Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Which incubator would be better for general use Brinsea Mini Eco Brinsea Mini Advanced Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Any ideas, had also considered the r-com 20 but at £210 seems a bit excessive, how often do eggs have to be turned in manual incubators. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
agent202 Posted January 1, 2012 Author Share Posted January 1, 2012 The best prices I can find are: Brinsea mini eco : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRINSEA-MINI-ECO-10-egg-Incubator-hatching-eggs-chicken-/380372901312?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item588ffdddc0#ht_1492wt_952 £55 Brinsea mini advanced : http://www.theincubatorshop.co.uk/products/details/290.html £110 Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco : http://www.theincubatorshop.co.uk/products/details/250.html £100 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 It really depends on how many eggs you want to hatch at once If it will be 6 then the mini advance is a very good machine and gets good results, its the best of the small incubators in my opinion the Octagon 20 is fab but it will work harder to incubate just a few eggs, if you want to hatch a dozen chicks then yes it would be a good bet rather than hatch two small batches in a little incubator (as then you all chicks all the same age which makes it easier to feed and house them providing you have the room) The Octagon 20 is a better manual incubator than most as you can simply tilt the whole thing rather than turn the eggs by hand, I actually have the rocking cradle for mine but often use it without as its so easy to turn With the eco model I would personally buy a digital thermometer/hydrometer so you can monitor the settings more easily but of course this is extra expense Ideally you should turn eggs (or incubator) an odd number of times a day, 5 is ideal but 3 is fine. When I am working mine get turned first thing, at about 7pm and then last thing which has always been fine for me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
agent202 Posted January 2, 2012 Author Share Posted January 2, 2012 So do you think the choice should really be between the brinsea mini advanced and the brinsea octagon 20 eco. I don't plan on hatching a certain number of eggs, I could manage with just a small incubator, but if I had a large incubator I would use it to its capacity. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...