Pipichick

Escaping Chickens!!!

Our chickens have cunningly learnt if they jump high enough they can squeeze through the larger rectangle holes in the old style omlet netting. It doesn't help that the netting tends to sag inwards so making those larger holes more accessible. I was going to invest in the newer netting (with the gate!!) until I noticed the same design 'flaw' :shock: I am wondering however, since the newer netting has the double spike posts, does this make it harder to escape??? Any experiences would be appreciated.

Out of interest it is only the ginger rangers that have worked this out :think:

We got the newer style Omlet netting last year and found that our girls could escape quite easily by flying over it, even though it claims to be higher it's still not high enough. They had their wings clipped but that didn't stop it either, they then managed just to balance on the top strand long enough to launch over the other side. So in the end we've had to increase the height of the netting with some ordinary garden stuff and 6ft garden canes.

T & L have their Eglu and run in a secure area with access to the compost bins and bark but have to be let out onto grass surrounded by old Omlet netting when we are about. This means they have to "ask" to lay and egg. Last couple of days Thelma has escaped from the netting and I could not see how. She only did this to go and lay her egg each time but I could not discover how. She is not a very vertical chicken and was not flying out.

I've just gone to put her back in the netting again and cornered her against it. Low and behold she jumped up a little bit and squeezed through the biggest hole size at the top! Now realise all the netting will have to be taut...

What will they think of next? :think:

At least it's not just mine then :) It seems a shame that omlet have forgotten chickens aren't stupid and with just a couple more rows of smaller square netting and taller poles we would have secure chucks !! I suspect I will be following Smudge and 'building' a more secure enclosure :roll: