Olly

Varroa Guard

I went to the Spring Convention yesterday, and came across this product Varroa Guard

It's a powder that you sprinkle across the frames or put in trays inside the hive. Anyone else tried it? I bought a pack, as I thought it was worth a try, it contains oxalic acid but you can use it any time of year. I see that it's approved by Defra as a 'hive sanitiser' rather than a treatment. That may be for economic reasons (cost of testing) rather than because of its composition.

Has essential oils in it as well as oxalic.

Some people leave it at the entrance where the weather gets to it and it has to be replaced regularly. Some people use it to dust the colony rather like the icing sugar treatment.

I've never used it but a friend used it on half her 10 colonies last year and there is no difference between the two groups.

Sorry not much help really.

I missed the convention this year....pressures of moving home.

How's the new venue?

Well apparently the classrooms were better - this was the first time I've attended any workshops so I can't tell. Otherwise very similar to Stoneleigh in terms of size, parking etc - just a lot further to go for me! I like walking round and looking at all the products but I didn't buy much apart from a couple of second-hand books.

I attended a workshop on Bumblebee Identification which was absolutely brilliant, and I was out in the garden yesterday with my hand lens trying to ID some bumbles.

I'm going to try the Varroa Guard on the basis that it can't do any harm, I will still use a thymol product in the autumn. There was another product on display there but it's not available here yet, it was pads soaked with formic acid and apparently they penetrate capped brood and destroy varroa there. I don't think it's licensed here yet though. Thanks for the response. :D

Yes, Mite Away Quick Strips. Been available in USA and I think Europe for some time.

Lot of beekeepers in The States are reporting queen death with them but then a lot of folks are saying they are OK. You pays your money and you takes your choice, I guess.

I really enjoy looking at bumbles. We had a red tailed bumble nest under a paving slab in the rockery last year and oldest, at two years old then, grand daughter and I would sit for ages looking at the comings and goings.

I love to see the first buff tails in the spring. They are so huge and sound like little chinooks.