CatsCube

Ducks with chickens

Well we got foxed last night and lost our whole chicken flock. Im now in the process of working out what our options are at starting again. Were going to hatch our own chicks again, and Im wondering at also keeping a couple of ducks. The chickens we keep are Pekin's and Im thinking of having some Black East Indies ducks as they are also a bantam size. SO I have some questions.

Firstly will they live together? I have a large chicken house so plenty of room, but are there compatibility issues?

Also I know duck eggs take longer to hatch, but thats okay I assume I just take the chicken chicks out when they hatch and leave the ducks to carry on. Can I keep them in a brooder together, do they have the same requirements, or will the ducklings need water right from the start and in which came need to be separate so the chicks down drown?

Hi if you want to hatch chicks and ducklings together you put your duck eggs in for 7 days on their own and then you add your chicken eggs and they all hatch together also the ducklings dont need water straight away but if you dont use a proper drinker will try and take a bath in what ever water supply they have they can share a house but i find ducks are very messy so mine all run together in the day and go to bed on their own at night and im sorry to hear about your chickens leanne :)