emmaw298

Ducklings about to hatch - any last min tips please?

My little call duck has been sitting for 21 days now and from candling the eggs, it looks like I might have a few ducklings next week now! :D

I've not raised ducklings before, but from what I understand mum duck will know what to do and I just need to keep them safe and clean, with the right food and water.

Does anybody have any tips please on types of feeding and water bowls needed for the first few weeks?

I am planning on feeding with chick crumbs - is this right??

I have a separate pen and run for them to start with and will assess how the dad duck reacts before allowing them to mix together. what is the best bedding to use for the ducklings??

I am planning on putting a shallow pool of water in the run from day 2 (like a painters tray or something).

Do the mum ducks usually keep the ducklings warm enough without needing any intervention from me?

Thanks for all your advice - I am finding it hard to locate much information on raising ducks who hatch naturally as much of the info is geared towards rearing in a brooder.

Thank you!!

ps - hopefully will be some beautiful call duck babies available shortly, so PM me if you're interested. mum and dad are 'trout' colourings (similar to mini mallards).

Hi you sound like you have everything in place they eat unmedicated chick crumbs i use shavings for bedding and just make sure the water bowl is not to deep but saying that mine were swimming at 2 days in roller trays mum will know what shes doing so you can leave her to it goodluck leanne :)

Its a hard one knowing if dad will be alright with babies some are fine some do try and kill them or when they are a few weeks old try and get it on with them you will just have to be careful if he shows any signs of aggression you will have to split them leanne :)