GenBond

Advice needed for newbie please

Hi

I've just started keeping chickens about 3 weeks ago, and I'm delighted!

A few questions I hope to get some help with. We have 3 hybrids, and an eglu, they are in a WIR my husband completed for them on the weekend. What should I put down on the ground of the WIR now that the grass is mud!! Any suggestions. I'm really keen to avoid red mite!

Also we have had a few soft eggs this week, which is puzzling, they have a grit feeder, but don't seem to make much use of it. They do use their "glug" but seem to like their food from the ground and don't really use their "grub"? Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks Genevieve (and girls)

Hi and welcome to the forum, personally I used hard wood chips on the floor of the run which is covered so it stays dry and is kept in place with link a board from Omlet around the edges. I poo pick it and sprinkle Stalostan on once a week. This weekend we have the lovely task of replacing it all as its been down six months now, they FR all day so it's lasted well. I know a lot of people use various types of horse bedding with success but it needs to be kept dry.

Sometimes when they first come into lay they can lay some soft eggs, hopefully someone with more knowledge can advise use. I have added some cod liver oil to their food I the past if I have had a soft egg.

Hope you enjoy your girls.