ratcatcher

beehaus hives over standard wooden

am hoping to start beekeeping in the not too distant future, and therefore looking at different hives, my question about the beehaus is, if you was using it as two seperate hives, with the supers on top, and one side was more advanced, you would fit bee excluders as provided in their package, to remove bee's from the supers within 24hrs, but you could'ent then simply remove the whole super, single or pair inc the frames, as it would make the top lop sided and no fitting roof back on, meaning you'd have to buy spare supers in advance, where as a standard woodern hive, you would remove the whole super and replace the lid?

am I correct in this way of thinking

Hi ratcatcher, welcome to the forum.

I don't own a Beehaus, but I have seen one and as far as I recall there are two separate cover boards/roofs, not just one big one - so you can build up one side of the hive with supers, and keep the other side just as a brood body. If you go to the Omlet shop and look at pictures of the Beehaus this seems to confirm this.

Have you seen a Beehaus 'in the flesh' yet? I would strongly recommend going to look at one before you decide, as it's an expensive purchase. I think they are great, but I've chosen to stick with cedar National hives partly because that's what most other beekeepers in my area use. Are you a member of a local beekeeping group - if so, it's worth going to see a few hives to get a feel for what would suit you.

I've got a couple of bee keeping friends, one of whom has reserved me a standard woodern hive inc bee's, for when I feel fully trained/confident in caring for them, I just happened to come across the beehaus via utube, and thought it was a good idea, Im a full time pest controller as the forum name suggest's, although don't cover bee's yet (removing swarms etc) although have been on a couple of collections with friend

Ive toyed with the idea of getting/becoming a beekeeper for over a year now, but recently a farmer I shoot for (controlling rabbits) gave me permission to put hives on his land, so need to get the ball rolling,

although Ive not been on any training sessions, I reckon with my experience dealing with wasps nests, (I dont run away screaming) and helping friends with their hives, will be enough to get me started with one hive, both friends living close to hand should I need help (one is chairman of local bee club)

then if after 6 months to a year I still enjoy it, I can add more

I'll take a look on the website, the only ones Ive seen so far have one solid roof covering the whole thing

ratcatcher is right.

The roof is in one piece

What you do on the smaller colony is put supers in place with EPS insulation inside them.

If you run two colonies in a beehaus you will need either another or something else to be able to artificially swarm them.

Better to run as a single colony,use the space to AS...which is then remarkably easy...and re-unite at the earliest opportunity expanding the one colony lengthwise. Then you can simply put empty supers over the empty space.