Dahato3

Ducklings due to hatch any day... Advice needed please

We have a broody hen sitting on 3 duck eggs. Today is day 25!!! Having spent hours reading on line gathering information

I am still a little unclear about a few things and would appreciate any advice.......

At the moment my broody is sitting on her eggs in a separate pen which has a newspaper base with wood shavings on top. Is this safe for the ducklings and suitable for their early development?

When ducklings are raised by a broody hen when is it ok to introduce them to shallow water?

Also, I am sure it varies but roughly how long would you expect a broody to remain with the ducklings?

We have hatched out chicks before using both a broody and an incubator but ducklings is a first!!

Thank you in advance :D

Hi it sounds like you are doing everything right the house with paper and shavings is fine but i just use shavings as when the paper gets wet they will try and eat it the broody will know how to look after them and i gave mine a paint roller tray at about 3 days old they love it but if the weather is rubbish they will be fine without for a little while it helps them to waterproof themselves and my ducklings stayed with their mum until they were 9 weeks but this depends on mum you will know when shes had enough.Also ducklings cant have medicated chickcrumb it just has to be the normal one leanne :)