mimi5 Posted June 23, 2012 Share Posted June 23, 2012 Hi all! So my hatching experience moves on and my first hatch brood now 6 weeks old!! (3 cockerels and a hen) Their mum Milly sliver partridge pekin was I hoped beginning to show signs of wanting to go back with Monty my cockerel. They have all been free ranging (supervised!) together in the garden weather permitting!!She has been crouching for Monty and I hoped this meant she would be coming in to lay (hooray no eggs here for ages!!) So this morning I let her and the chicks out of their coop and ....there's a lovely white egg!!!!! So I scoop up Milly and pop her back in the cube run with Monty! This is when the trouble starts as she gleefully rushes up to the nest box and settles herself in!!!!!! Can this really be so????? I tired booting her out , she goes straight back in. She must have laid the egg sometime between bedtime and this morning, surely she can't need to lay another?? So I have blocked off the nest box, she obsessed in the coop!!! So I booted her out of the coop and closed the cube coop door and now she is obsessing on the ladder !!!!!!! PLEASE any ideas???? I thought giving in and letting her hatch might give us some respite from the broody wheel!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pekin Person Posted June 23, 2012 Share Posted June 23, 2012 My Pekin has done the same! Her lone chick is 6 weeks old and she has settled herself back in the nesting box. The other problem is that the chick doesnt want to leave her just yet so he is sitting in there all day with her I have to keep kicking them both out and shutting up the house. I knew Pekins were prone to being broody but this is ridiculous x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted June 23, 2012 Author Share Posted June 23, 2012 Oh dear!!! I wondered if that might be the case!! But you know what, I went out to check on her and she laid an egg in front of my eyes in the run...poor thing I did feel bad But when I opened the cube coop door ...just to see UP she went!!!!! So booted her out and closed it up again! I had no idea pekins where SOOOO broody I'm coming up to my first year of owning pekins.....steep learning curve!!!!!! Luckily I've 4 chicks all together and they seem fine. Just trying to get homes for the boys!! JOY Then Molly's turn next, hope she's better !!?? Her chicks are 4 weeks old (2 girls and a boy) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
miller30 Posted June 23, 2012 Share Posted June 23, 2012 My pekin has 2x11 week old boys and is now broody again they can be aright nightmare i had a couple that hatched me out 3 broods each last year leanne Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kirstie Posted June 23, 2012 Share Posted June 23, 2012 10 weeks ago one of my girls went broody (a pekin) a week later I put her in a broody house and let her sit on fertile eggs. The same week one of my other pekins went broody. Now I have 6 week old chicks and a mum who wants to be back with the girls (she's laying again but one of the other girls is not allowing this just yet!) - and the Pekin who went broody 2nd is still BROODY! 9 weeks on! When will she snap out of it! Thinking of letting her sit on some eggs just to let her get over this - but after reading your comments I'm thinking she's just going to have to snap out of it - if that's possible! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...