nannyhenny

Top Bar Hives v Beehaus or Nationals

I'm intending to start beekeeping in my garden and have been exploring the various sorts available. So far the horizontal top bar hive is way ahead! Anyone with experience of it out there? I know that the British Beekeepers Association is very hostile so I don't need to hear their arguments again; any views from others, please?

I doubt if you will find many people on here who have top-bars, but you could try the Barefoot Beekeeper at www.biobees.com.

They do make it much harder to harvest honey, treat for varroa and other disease, and control swarming and that's why I wouldn't consider them.

I intend to try a top bar when we move.

As Olly says the Biobees web site is a mine of information.

You can treat for varroa and harvest honey fairly easily;the approaches are just different.

The ethos of these hives embraces a more natural method of keeping bees rather than bee keeping and swarming is not discouraged.

The ideal way to populate such a hive is with a swarm or a package.

I already have three colonies (six at the moment due to AS but due to be united back to three) a mix of poly,standard National and 14x12.

I'd love to try the more laid back TBH.

It was Bio-bees who convinced me of the advantages of a more natural approach. I've read Phil Chandler's book and enrolled on an on-line course at my-garden-school.com to learn as much as I can before probably taking the plunge early next year. I really can't see that they're more difficult to manage than a conventional hive and, although you get less honey, this is because you leave some for the bees to see them through the winter with their natural food, which must be better for them, surely?

If you want a top bar hive, Old Speckled Hen, there's a web site topbarhive.co.uk where you can get one made to order if you're not into major woodwork!

It's all new! !bee!

It was Bio-bees who convinced me of the advantages of a more natural approach. I've read Phil Chandler's book and enrolled on an on-line course at my-garden-school.com to learn as much as I can before probably taking the plunge early next year. I really can't see that they're more difficult to manage than a conventional hive and, although you get less honey, this is because you leave some for the bees to see them through the winter with their natural food, which must be better for them, surely?

If you want a top bar hive, Old Speckled Hen, there's a web site topbarhive.co.uk where you can get one made to order if you're not into major woodwork!

It's all new! !bee!

www.topbarhive.co.uk sent me to biobees :?

Hubby built us a TBH season before last, just didn't get round to using it.

Swarming Nationals ......HA!!.....but then that's my fault for not replacing a swarmy queen last year.

I've had to do 3 ASs this year.

Two queens are biting the dust as soon as I have their replacements.

Did one AS this afternoon and will unite two hives tonight.

Just need some decent weather now.