Mr Rhode Island Red Posted July 7, 2012 Share Posted July 7, 2012 One of my hens managed to get down some tough grass and has managed to get sour crop. I got her to "vomit" as advised in the FAQ section for poultry health on this forum. Once no further liquid came up, I gave her some pellets mixed with probiotic yoghurt and she happily ate them. I also gave her some water with a teaspoon of ACV. This morning, she has improved slightly. Her crop isn't as saggy but I can tell that she still isn't herself. What is the next course of action? Do I try to get her to "vomit" again or will I just keep giving her the feed of probiotic yoghurt and pellets? Many Thanks Mr Rhode Island Red Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beulah59 Posted July 7, 2012 Share Posted July 7, 2012 If there's a tackle and bait shop nearby, buy some maggots. Half a pint should be enough. Give her a small handful twice a day for a week ... I had a hen with a persistent dropped crop and it was the only way to keep it soft. It also made her very happy and very willing! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 7, 2012 Share Posted July 7, 2012 Try the maggots but beyond that starve her for 24 hours with access to just a small amount of water The crop should empty completely if it doesn't there may be a blockage still and it would be best to get her to a vet Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mr Rhode Island Red Posted July 7, 2012 Author Share Posted July 7, 2012 i doubt I can get a hold of maggots... Should I get her to vomit again? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 7, 2012 Share Posted July 7, 2012 You could do but be careful Keep her separated and starve her now. Don't give ACV in the water it's too acidic for sour crop Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mr Rhode Island Red Posted July 7, 2012 Author Share Posted July 7, 2012 any advice as to how to do it safely Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 7, 2012 Share Posted July 7, 2012 when there is liquid coming out of the beak the hen cant breathe, also as she is upside down the organs put pressure on her chest making things worse. if her comb starts going purple you must stop immeidately but its best to try it in short bursts so things never get that bad also there is a risk that when you put her back upright liquid or the blockage could run down to her lungs so use your fingers to clear her beak before putting her back upright Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...